Nov 23, 2011

Frozen Lakes, Be Mine


Today is the day
I rise in swiftness
With a glaring purpose
Slide across the lovely stream that is solid
Frozen lakes, be mine, be always
This time, again I am a child

Hear the bells that make way
For the horses that pull snow away
Let’s collect the images of the shoe marks
Lucky and cheery may we become
Make a memory, this time of year
It’s magical, for you, for me
It’s a sudden kingdom of white

Twelve words, twelve moods, twelve months
I will see you here again, frozen still
Smiling holding a branch in your hand
Rolling the snow into large mounts
Use a carrot and a cone don’t forget
To make a nose, a mouth, so the smile
Greets everyone who passes by

Today I remember that frozen lakes
Are as alive as we all are, creating a protective layer
So we can all stop and enjoy the moment
Today I rise into every winter of my life
See the plane of white?
Come and share this time
You too, little one,
I see your antlers have not grown in
Once you slide over a frozen lake
You’ll realize the beauty in what stands still
Tall and white today and here on out
Frozen lakes, be mine, be always.

1 comment:

ZeeZee said...

As always beautiful. Thnks, Lucy.